To connect to S3 buckets see the CSV S3 Collector video or read this article.
TO CREATE AN S3 SOURCE
- In the Data Manager window, click Sources +.
- In the Source Types window, click START on the AWS S3 tile. The S3 dialog box is displayed.
- From the drop-down menu select the AWS regional bucket location.
- Enter the bucket name you created in your AWS account.
[Optional] To restrict access to a specific folder in the bucket, enter the name of the folder in the Folder Name field.
Note To make sure that the bucket policy is updated to enable Anodot to access the files:
i. Navigate to Bucket Policy in the Permissions > Bucket Policy in your AWS account.
ii. Copy the policy listed below, change the "Resource" to your own bucket name.
For more details, see AWS Using Bucket Policies and User Policies
5. Click Continue, to display the Stream Query window.
CREATING AN S3 STREAM QUERY
If you have just created an S3 data source, skip to step 3.
- In the Data Manager Source panel, choose the source to which you want to add a stream query; the streams associated to that source are displayed in the Streams panel.
Note If the Streams panel is empty, no stream queries exist for that source.
- Click Streams + to display the Stream Query window.
- In the Files Path field enter a path relative to the data source.
[Optional] You can further restrict access to the source by continuing the path to a specific folder within the bucket.
- Choose a File Name Date Pattern.
Note The file name indicates the start of the collection interval. See the examples below.
Filename Timestamp Pattern
Daily, hourly 
Minute, Daily, hourly,
15 minutes, 5 minutes, 1 minute 
 If daily - the most recent file will be used
 For daily, hourly, 15 minutes, 5 minutes, 1 minute - the most recent file will be used
File Name Examples
File Name Holds data from...to test_2018071503_hourly.csv.gz
hourly data from 03:00 to 03:59
hourly data from 04:00 to 04:59
hourly data from 05:00 to 05:59
minute-based data from 03:05 to 03:09
minute-based data from 03:10 to 03:14
15-minutes of data from 03:00 to 03:14
15-minutes of data from 03:45 to 03:59
- In the File name prefix field, enter the prefix (e.g. test_ )
- In the File name suffix field, enter suffix and extension (e.g. demo.csv.gz)
- In each of the Timestamp/Prefix/Suffix fields enter the specified data only.
- Files may be compressed [.gz]
- If you get an error message, fix the error in the bucket or files, and click RETRY to re-fetch the files.
- To preview the file, click. [Optional]
- To change the Parsing and Import Settings, click .
See CSV - Parsing and Importing Settings.
- Click GO! The imported Measures & Dimensions are displayed.
Note If there are no Measures in the Stream Query, an editable Events Count column is automatically inserted in the Stream Table.
EDITING A STREAM QUERY
- To edit the Stream Query, click the Pen icon in the Measures & Dimensions panel.
- To add an item, drag from the repository on the left to the relevant Measure or Dimension panel. At least one dimension and one measure [ a numerical value] are required.
- To clear an item, click the X icon on the item.
- Choose a time format from the drop-down menu.
- Choose a time zone.
2. Click X to accept the edits and return to the Stream Query window.
3. To edit the Schedule File Collection, click the Pen icon in the Schedule panel.
In Schedule File Collection, choose:
- From the Collect files every menu, set the intraday or daily collection interval.
Note The timestamp at the start of the source file name indicates the the period of the minute, hourly or daily data. Each row in a file will increase incrementally, either by the intraday or daily interval chosen.
- An Ignore files older than time span.
Note "Older than" refers to back filing of historical data and does not affect ongoing collection.
- A File Time Zone for Anodot to know how to relate to the internal timestamp.
- A Lagging files policy to set the number of intervals to waits for lagging files.
Note The system behavior in general is to keep the data ordered, and create as minimal gaps as possible. Therefore, the heuristics are the following:
1. While there is no new data, meaning no new files, the system will retry to collect from the last file collected. In this case, the lag policy parameter does not affect anything.
2. When there is a gap followed by new files, the Lagging files parameter is used to state "how many intervals the system should wait before processing the new files". So that the file hold processing is not too long, due to missing files that may never or are too-long in arriving.
File 2018032806_test.csv was collected OK - Anodot has collected the data up to 2018/03/28 at 06:59
The files for 07,08, 09 have not arrived to the relevant folder.
The file for 10, called 2018032810_test.csv arrived at 11:15 - therefore there is a gap.
The Lagging files parameter determines the processing of the 10 o'clock file:
Lag policy = 0 --> The 10 file will be processed upon arrival, and a gap in the previous hours is created.
Lag policy = 1 --> The 10 file will not be processed yet, it will wait to 12:15 and then be processed. [If during the waiting time, older files arrive, they will be processed before.]
Lag policy = 2 --> The 10 file will not be processed yet, it will wait to 13:15 and then be processed. [If during the waiting time, older files arrive, they will be processed before.]
11. Click X to accept the scheduling settings.
12. Click NEXT. The Stream Table is displayed.
Before uploading a data set file to AWS S3 source type:
- Prepare the file in a test folder; check that the file format meets the S3 data source file parameters.
- Records within files must be sorted chronologically.
Note Files smaller than 16MB are automatically sorted by timestamp by Anodot.
- Move the file to the production folder only after you have verified that the file is complete.
- If the file timestamp is epoch seconds or epoch milliseconds, don't define a timezone - it will be treated as an error.
- The file must be formatted using UTF-8 or ASCII character sets.
- An S3 bucket can be accessed from one Anodot account.