This article describes how alert assignment works in Anodot, and includes the following:
- What is Alert assignment?
- How to use Alert assignment
- Other things to consider
What is Alert assignment?
You can assign an alert to users or a group of users, so that, once assigned, the user(s) will receive alert notifications for the specific alert. The notifications will inform the user of any anomalies in the alert, and from there, the user can investigate and analyze further, or even provide feedback that the alert is relevant or not.
An alert notification typically looks like the one below. As this article is focused on assigning the alert, we won't deep-dive into alert notifications here; for more information, see Getting Alert Notifications.
How to use Alert assignment
You can assign alerts to users or groups of users in one of two ways, manually or automatically.
- Manually assigning alerts: You can manually assign an alert to any individual user, as required. This is done from the Alert Console (as described in the following section), for example, by clicking in the Assignee column and then searching for the relevant group or user in the displayed list. An email notification is automatically sent to the assignee(s).
- Automatic assignment of alerts: During the creation/editing of an alert, you can automatically assign the alert to a group. The members of the selected group will be assigned the alert on a round-robin basis; this round-robin process is arbitrary within the group members. Note that you can change the assigned user/group manually, as described above. For more information about working with groups, see Managing Users and Groups.
NOTE: Defining groups in your organization ensures there are mutual backups between team members, that teams take accountability by owning alerts, and no user remains as a "single point of failure". When new users and groups are created, they appear in the Alert Management page, where you can select which user or group you want to be the owner of a particular alert. Regular users will only be able to select one of the groups they're a user in; as an admin user, you can choose any group you want.
Assigning the Alert to a group when creating the Alert
- From the Alert Console or Alerts Management pages, click + New Alerts (located in the top right corner). The Create New Alert screen is displayed.
- Select the relevant Alert Type (Anomaly (selected by default), Static, or No Data), define your alert metrics, and then define the relevant alert conditions.
- In the Info & Recipients section, click + Assignment Group to assign the alert to a group. The alert is assigned automatically to the group members, on a round-robin basis. You can also define general information about the alert, as well as alert recipients and notifications.
- Click Create Alert to implement your settings.
Assigning the Alert to a group or user in the Alert Console
- From the Navigation Panel, click Alerts Console. The Alert Console page is displayed.
- In the Assignee column, the current assigned user/group is shown.
To add a new assignee, hover over the alert row, click on the user icon and then select the relevant user or group. The user is immediately assigned to the alert and a notification is sent to the user.
To remove the assigned user, hover over the user icon and click the X icon, as shown below.
Filtering assigned Alerts
In the Alert Console, you can also filter the displayed list of alerts by using the Assignee filter to pinpoint alerts assigned to a specific user or group.