The Mixpanel Collector enables you to monitor information related to user interactions in a product. For example, the collector enables you to collect Mixpanel metrics on events (the interactions), users (the individuals performing the events), and properties (attributes of both events and users).
This article includes:
Creating a Mixpanel data source
- In the Navigation Panel, go to Integrations > Catalog.
- Use the Search box OR click the Monitoring filter to locate the data source.
- Hover over the Mixpanel tile, and click Start. The Mixpanel dialog is displayed, as shown below. Note: If the data source has already been used, a dialog is displayed in which you can select from one of the listed sources. Alternatively, create a new source by clicking Add a new source.
- Define the following:
- Name: The name for the data source.
- Server region: The Mixpanel URL to use for API calls. Currently there are two options available – the Standard server (mixpanel.com/api) and the EU Residency server (eu.mixpanel.com/api).
- Project ID: A unique Mixpanel alphanumerical token for collecting data. For more information, click here.
- Username/UserID: The username/ID of the Mixpanel service account, which is a special type of account intended to represent a non-human entity such as a script or back-end service. For more information, click here.
- Secret: A Mixpanel project's secret can be found in the Access Keys section of a project's settings overview page, as described here.
- Click CONTINUE.
Creating a Mixpanel stream query
If you have just created a Mixpanel data source, skip to step 3.
- In the Sources page (accessed by clicking Integrations > Sources in the Navigation Panel), filter the list of streams to find the Mixpanel source for which you want to create a stream query.
Note: The streams associated with that source are displayed. If the streams panel is empty, no stream queries exist for that source.
- Hover over the Mixpanel data source, and click + New Stream. The Stream Query page is displayed.
- Define your stream query settings in the following sections:
- Stream Filters: Choose the relevant entity from the Choose an Entity dropdown list OR select the Compose Query option to define a query.
- Measures & Dimensions: After selecting an entity (see the previous bullet), the available measures and dimensions are displayed; this list can be modified as required by clicking the pencil icon.
- Stream Properties: Define a name and owner for the stream.
- Access Settings: Define if Everyone, None, or Selected Groups will have access to this stream and its data.
- Schedule file collection: Click the pencil icon to define the various scheduling settings, including the Collect Since value (the time span of data to query while initializing a stream).
- Review the Stream Query page to confirm your chosen stream data.
- Click NEXT. The Stream Table is displayed; see Stream Tables for more information.