Creating a Metric Expression
Adding a Function Node
Adding an Expression Root
Copying and Pasting a Subtree
Saving an Expression Metric to a Dashboard
Saving an Expression to an Alert
Saving an Expression as a Composite Metric - See Saving Composite Metrics
A metric is the unique combination of dimensions and measures values which are sent to Anodot. To build a metric expression:
- Search for the metrics you need to build your expression.
- Build an expression based on these metrics.
- Use the expression either by saving it to a dashboard, to create an alert, or as composite for later use.
CREATING A METRIC EXPRESSION
- Click in the search box to start the metrics definition dialog. Click at any time to clear all values from the box.
- The first prompt is for metric Properties. In the drop-down list, select a Property.
- In the Values drop-down list, select the value for the selected Property.
As you continue to add filter/value pairs, the number of filter tokens is briefly shown at the end of the line on the right, for example, +2.
As you are building the expression, the number of metrics in the data meeting the criteria is shown at the end of the line. You can preview the metric results in the chart.
- To view the results of an expression or function in the chart, click in the node.
- Press the ENTER key to complete the expression.
TO ADD A FUNCTION NODE
- In the expression node for the function, click the Function icon displayed above the expression node.
- In the function box, type the name of the function or select from the drop-down list. The function input line appears.
- If the function has mandatory parameters, select from the parameter drop-down list or enter a value on the input line.
- If the function has additional parameters, click the down arrow to open the drop-down list and select a parameter value.
- Continue until you have completed the expression tree for your metric.
- Press ENTER to complete the expression.
ADDING AN EXPRESSION ROOT
In Dashboard chart and meter tiles you can add additional expression roots.
- Click +Expression. The new node is shown at the left margin of the panel.
- Complete the expression as usual.
- Click Save.
Although the new expression tree is independent of the first tree, it displays in the same chart as the first tree, but with different scales.
To move nodes within the expression tree:
- In an expression or function node node, hover over left/right arrows to display the Move icon.
- Holding down the left mouse button, drag and drop the node.
COPYING AND PASTING A SUBTREE
Any Subtree can be copied from the Metric Expression builder and then pasted to a metric expression used or created elsewhere in Dashboard tiles, Alerts and Composite Metrics.
Note If you copy and get a warning, fix it before saving. See Metric Functions
To Copy & Paste A Subtree
1. Navigate to a Metrics Expression panel from a Dashboard tile, Metrics page, Alerts or Composite Metric.
2. Select the subtree you want to copy.
3. Click the Copy subtree icon.
A message is displayed Copied to Clipboard
4. Navigate to the Dashboard tile, Alert or Composite Metric expression panel where you want to paste the expression or root you copied in step 3.
5. Click Paste Subtree. The copied section is pasted as a new root.
SAVING AN EXPRESSION TO A DASHBOARD
- Complete Creating a Metric Expression.
- Click Save > Save to Dashboard. The Save to Dashboard dialog box is displayed.
- Either save to an Existing Dashboard - select from the Select Dashboard drop-down menu
or click New and type a unique name in the Dashboard name field. .
- Enter a Tile Name.
- Enter a web link. Converts the Tile name to a hyperlink to the specified link.[Optional]
- Click OK. The Metric is saved to an existing or new Dashboard, depending on your choice in step 3.
SAVING AN EXPRESSION TO AN ALERT
- Complete Creating a Metric Expression.
- Click Save > Create Alert.
- Option A:
If there is no composite function in the metric, the New Alert window is displayed, with the Metric Expression field filled in the the metric expression name.
- The Metrics Expression is the metric definition.
- The Info Name is the name of the Alert, as it appears in the All Alerts window .
See Alerts Overview
If the metric includes a composite definition, the Save Composite Definition dialog box is displayed.
i. Enter a unique name in the Name field.
ii. Enter a name in the What are you measuring (what=) field. [Optional]
iii. Additional Properties Select from the proposed additional common properties of the functions displayed and/or type a new property[ies] which are of specific interest to you. [Optional]
iv. Click OK, to display the New Alert window.
See Composite Metrics
SAVING AN EXPRESSION AS A COMPOSITE METRIC