Metric Expressions can be created in the :
- Dashboard tiles
- Metrics window
- Alerts window
TO CREATE METRIC EXPRESSIONS
- Click in the search box to start the metrics definition dialog. Click at any time to clear all values from the box.
- The first prompt is for metric Properties. In the drop-down list, select a Property.
- In the Values drop-down list, select the value for the selected Property.
You may continue to add filter/value pairs. As you do, the number of filters is briefly shown at the end of the line on the right, for example, +2.
As you are building the expression, the number of metrics in the data meeting the criteria is shown at the end of the line. You can preview the metric results in the chart.
- To view the results of an expression or function in the chart, click in the node.
- Press the ENTER key to complete the expression.
TO ADD A FUNCTION NODE
- In the expression node for the function, click . The function node appears above the expression node which is now indented under the function.
- In the function box, type the name of the function or select from the drop-down list. The function input line appears.
- If the function has mandatory parameters, select from the parameter drop-down list or type a value on the input line.
- If the function has additional parameters, click to open the drop-down list and select a parameter value.
- Continue until you have completed the expression tree for your metric.
- Press ENTER to complete the expression.
TO SAVE A METRIC EXPRESSION
A metric expression can be saved to a new or existing Dashboard tile, used to create an alert or as a composite metric. See:
TO ADD AN EXPRESSION ROOT
In Dashboard chart and meter tiles you can add additional expression roots.
- Click . The new node is shown at the left margin of the panel.
- Complete the expression as usual.
- Click Save.
Although the new expression tree is independent of the first tree, it displays in the same chart as the first tree, but with different scales.
To move nodes within the expression tree:
- In an expression node, hover over , or in a function node, hover over .
The move icon () appears.
- Holding down the left mouse button, drag and drop the node.
To create simple and complex metric expressions, see the tutorial on Building Chart and Metric Expressions.