Alerts are notifications of metric events triggered by anomalies, no data, or deviations from a static value.
Alert notifications are sent to recipients grouped according to distribution channels:
- Email – Recipients identified by an email address.
- Webhook – Recipients identified by a URL. A Webhook is a simple event notification service via HTTP POST. When the alert is triggered, the service sends the alert payload to the specified URL.
- Slack – Recipients identified by WebHook URL created using Slack custom integration.
- PagerDuty - Recipients identified by PagerDuty service name and key.
- JIRA - Recipients identified by Jira user email.
- Opsgenie - Recipients identified by name, Opsdenie instance and integration API key.
- MS Teams - Recipients identified MS Team name and MS Teams webhook URL
- Users – Recipients defined as users in host app.
Instances identify individual recipients within a notification channel.
CREATING AND TUNING ALERTS
In this tutorial you will learn how to create a new alert.
To create a new alert:
1. Navigate to:
- Either the Alerts Console [default home page]
- Or Alerts Management [Anodot navigation menu > Management > Alerts Management]
2. Click the +New Alert button, to open the New Alerts page.
3. Define your metrics.
See Metric Expressions.
4. Set the Alert Settings.
- Setting Alert Types
- Defining Anomaly Alerts
- Setting Anomaly Alert Conditions
- Defining Static Threshold Alerts
- Defining No Data Only Alerts
- Tuning the Alert Rate
5. Set a unique title, a description (optional), the severity and status.
Note Dynamic variables can be added in alert names or descriptions.
See Adding Variables in Alert Titles and Descriptions
6. Define the distribution channels and instances.
See Managing Alert Channels
7. Change ownership [Admin and Alert owners only].
Adding Variables in Alert Titles and Descriptions
- Open the New or Edit Alert page.
- In the Info section either in the Title field or the Description field, add a property name as part of the alert title or description.
For example add the propertyName Country to the Description:
- In the case the alert is pushed for one Country, Anodot will replace this value with the actual name of the country in the alert notification.
- In the case of 2 values, such as the one below, New Users by visitor type, Anodot will replace the User_Type and New_Visitors in the alert notification.
- In the case of 3 values or more, Anodot will replace each of the variables accordingly in the alert notification.
- Your alert notifications will be pushed based on the user-defined variables.