TO CREATE AN ALERT
- Click the Alerts tab and then click the New button.
- In the Metrics row, click Selected Metrics or to open the metrics definition dialog box. To define metrics, see Metric Expressions Workflow.
- Click Save.
A. If there is no composite function in the metric then the New Alert window is displayed. Skip to step 4.
B. If there is a composite function, the Save Composite dialog box is displayed.
i. Enter a unique name in the Title field.
ii. [Optional - displayed only if 'what' is selected in the metrics panel] in the What are you measuring (what=) field either leave as-is [by default the name entered in the Title field] or enter a more meaningful name of what is being measured.
iii. [Optional] Additional Properties Select from the proposed additional common properties of the functions displayed and/or type a new property[ies] which are of specific interest to you.
iv. Click OK, to display the New Alert window.
- In the Alert Settings row, click Define Metrics First or to open the Alert Settings window.
To set an Alert Type see:
Setting an Alert Type
Creating an Anomaly Alert
Creating a Static Threshold Alert
Creating a No Data Only Alert
- Click Save, to return to the New Alert window.
- In the Info Title box, type a name for the alert.
- [Optional] In the Description box type a description for the alert and actions to take when it is received.
- Select the Severity level of the Alert - Critical/High/Medium/Low/ Info from the drop-down menu. the default is High.
- [Optional] By default new Alerts are Active. You can at any time change the status from Active to Pause [for an hour/day/week or indefinitely].
- To add Recipients to the alert's notifications:
- Select a Channel from the drop-down menu.
- Select the desired Instances for the channel. The list of defined instances for the channel is shown.
- To create a new recipient, see Managing Alert Channels.
Selected Channel/Instances are shown in the Current list.
- Click Save.
To remove an instance, click next to the instance in the Current list.
DEFINING ALERT SETTINGS
The Alert Settings dialog assumes that metrics are available for an alert simulation and displays the simulation in the main panel of the page.
The simulation window top bar displays the:
- Alert Simulation data time range. The amount of time a simulation will run for depends on the Time Scale selected in the Alert Settings panel:
Time Scale Amount of data points the simulation will run on
1 minute 1 week
5 minutes 1 month
1 hour 6 months
1 day 1 year
Note: The simulation runs on the amount of data points [time] available. The time data points listed are maximum times. For example: If only 3 months of data points are available, a 1-hour time scale will run only for 3 months.
- Estimated Alert Rate is the total number of alerts based on the simulated metrics settings
See Tuning Alert Rate for tips on how to investigate simulation data in order to change the estimated alert rates
Note: There is a minimum time period of data required in order to provide simulation results.